Sunday, October 19, 2014

The Journey Begins

For purposes of understanding, I am re-posting my initial post to state my vision for this blog:

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.
(Bilbo Baggins, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring)
With a light heart and “eager feet,” this blog begins. Where will it lead? “I cannot say.” But I can offer this hope: I hope that as we journey together we will catch glimpses of the possibilities that may lie just around the next corner, or that may yet remain if we but take a step or two back the way we came.
I journey as a Christian and a Presbyterian pastor. It is right and fair you should know that about me as you consider giving me the privilege of your company. I take each step in the expectant hope that we have a Companion on our journey who is true to his promise, “I will never leave you or forsake you…I am with you always.” If I have a walking stick to aid my steps, it is this promise, and I hope that together, we will catch glimpses of him along the way (for he is so very good at hiding).
Glimpses such as this: I went to Pep Boys this afternoon to buy replacement headlights for our vehicle. We were a pa-diddle (sp?) with one light out. When I attempted to install these lights, they did not fit. So I returned to the store, told my story, and asked to exchange them. The clerk looked at the parts and asked if I had driven the vehicle. When I said, “Yes,” he asked if I would pop the hood. Done. He fiddled for a moment or two, asked me to turn on the lights, and voila! No more pa-diddle! He then refunded me the money for the parts and refused to charge me for the help.
Who knew Jesus worked at Pep Boys?

No comments:

Post a Comment